Saturday, July 2, 2011

Saturday Sit-Down with Edward'sChipper!

Ladies and Gents, meet one of my best friends in the fandom, Chipper! Not only is she a talented woman and writer but she is one of the funniest, kindest and smartest women I have had the pleasure of knowing!

Let’s start off with the basics…

What’s your penname?
EdwardsChipper, or Edward’sChipper, or just Chipper on Twilight. And no, I don’t have an identity crisis.

Where do you post most often?
Twilighted, ff.net, and TwiWrite

What’s your favorite pairing? Favorite genre?
Favorite pairing is Edward and Me, I mean Bella, although I’ve been known to swing Carlisle’s way once or twice. *grins* Genre – dark, historical, dark and historical, oh and throw naughty in there just for kicks.

Is there a pairing or genre that you absolutely cannot stand?
*laughs* Will I get stoned if I answer? I simply can’t stomach Jasper and Alice. There’s no WAY Jasper would’ve gone for that superficial pixie for realz. Nuh uh.

What got you into the Twilight Fandom? It’s all the hot guys, wasn’t it? Don’t lie.
I heard a rumor the sex was easy, so of course…Pffft. Actually, I found it on my own, believe it or not. Two friends and I were writing the trilogy sequel back in ’09, and one of them mentioned the world of fanfic. I’d never even heard of it before then, so I went a-huntin’ and found Twilighted.

What do you find to be the most challenging part about writing your fics?
Uh, writing them? *laughs* No seriously, finding the time to write them. When I first started Second Chances, I knew no one, not one blog, and I’d only heard of Twitter but had no clue what it was. I would forego meals and sleep to write. Then a job change and a promotion threw me for a loop, not to mention my foray into rec’ing and writing features for two blogs, and my utter obsession with Twitter because someone-who-shall-not-be-named suggested I get on it. *quirks a brow at Alexis*

The only other thing is finding what I call “the voice”. It comes down to internalizing my characters. I’ve found that jumping around to write other things, and now having two fics that are polar opposite in tone, not to mention one canon and one not-even-close to canon, I have a tendency to lose that. Often I’ll go back and read a few previous chapters to find it. One time, around chapter 24 or 25 of 2C, I actually went back and read the whole thing. LOL!

Best review you’ve ever received? Worst?
I know it’s going to sound like a load of shit, but I honestly have loved all but one of them. Even though I don’t have a gazillion, my reviewers are fabulous, some are very critical, and that’s why I started this whole adventure in the first place – to see if I could actually write. But there’s was one, not too long ago on Twilighted where I actually said, “Wow” out loud. It’s not like I don’t warn people about 19837019238424 times what’s in Second Chances. The subject is not for everyone. Well this person took her…comments a little too far, even for me. I even PM’d her to ask her to explain further because I really did wanted to understand. It’s the first, and only review I’ve ever deleted.


How do you get into the zone? What’s your method for getting the creative juices flowing? Dancing around your living room in nothing but a baseball cap, weird shit like that?

I’m usually nekkid. *smirks* Cardboardward is ALWAYS within about four feet from me. Mmmhmm. *glances over at mah boy*

I’m very methodical, and it’s the zone that I have to be in order to get it flowing, and it ALWAYS involves classical music on in the background. For some chapters, I actually go out and find new stuff if I need a kickstart, and don’t have it in my personal collection. Right now, my iTunes holds about 350 songs, but my CD collection is even more. I must have music, in some form. Oh, and smokes. Plentiful smokes. I have literally chainsmoked through quite a few chapters in Of Swans and Silence. It’s why I can’t quit smoking right now. lol


Do your friends and family in your real life know about your fanfiction alter-ego?
Most of my friends know I’m writing, only some know what, and only a select few have read it. My family knows, thinks I’m absolutely nuts, and asks me daily why the fuck don’t I write something I can make millions with. As far as I know, they haven’t read any of it. I will fuckin’ die a thousand deaths the day my mother finds OSaS.

What do you look for in a good fanfic?
I don’t look for anything, really, although I do have a penchant for the dark and twisted, and historical Edward. Unf. Most of the time, I judge a fic by whether or not I want to keep reading after the first three or so paragraphs. Oh, and the summary. *rolls eyes* I know they’re difficult to write, hell, I suck at it too. But C’MON peeps, put a little effort into it. If a summary says, “I suck at summaries” or I see a typo in it or the title? Fuck that, I’m movin on. There is SOOOO much good stuff out there just waiting to be found.

Tell us a bit about yourself…

You mean that’s not in my bio? Bleh. I’m so boring. Well, actually I’m not, but I can’t tell you all the shit that makes me cool, cuz then I’d have to kill ya. *laughs*

Anything you’d like to share with us? Married, single? Kids?Covert CIA agent?Alaskan crab fisherman?

Oh, alright. I’m very single and stayin that way. Yes, I curse as much in RL as I seem to do on Twitter and my blog posts. Yes, I say fuck to my mother constantly, and she doesn’t give a damn cuz she knows she can’t change me. My name, Chipper, came from an incredible chipshot I made on my 2nd hole of golf EVER about 12 years ago, and it was given to me by the guys who were on the green when I made it – people I work with still - and I am called it in RL by everyone there. In fact, most people don’t know, even some people in the office, that my real name is Christine. Newbies can never find me on Outlook. *laughs evilly* Cuts down on the shittastic amount of work email I get. *grins* It’s even on my business cards.

I love long walks on the beach; I’m a Sagittarius, and my favorite color is magenta. *wonders if anyone will pick up that movie ref*

Actually, I lied. My favorite color is pink. I don’t care what you may be thinking about it, nor do I care about the irony of a hardass like me loving it. My bedroom is a wonderful ad for PeptoBismal, and any guy who is treated to an evening in it, usually doesn’t give a shit about the color by then. Hmph.

*giggles*


Spill! What’s you guilty pleasure? I promise not to judge you, as long as it isn’t Justin Beiber.

Oh HELL no. No Bieber here. My fingers just cramped up typing his name. Terd.

Hmmm. All my pleasures are guilty. ;) That’s why they’re pleasurable. Dirty Romance novels, Bacardi and Cokes cuz they’re so uncool, getting shitfaced in the city and having to spend the night on a friend’s couch, or, um, elsewhere. Iz all goooood.


Do you have a favorite published author? Someone that actually has printed novels with a publishing house, like Stephanie Meyer.

Not lately, not since Steph. I read what I think is good, what interests me, and that can be just about anyone these days. A while ago, I was really into Judith McNaught. Her early stuff was just phenomenal romance, but I think somewhere along the way she either lost it, or got a ghostwriter, because it’s just not the same.


Favorite musical artist? Anything we should definitely check out?
Sting. I’ve lusted after him since I was 14 and he was in The Police, and I will continue to do so until the day I die. Or he does, whichever comes first. I’m into so many different kinds of music, it just depends on my mood. The other day, I just downloaded Christina Perri, but I also like Red a lot. And Zeppelin. My heart will always belong to Zeppelin. But some days, I like old Michael Jackson – his Off the Wall album. Just gets me going. That, and when I blast Fuck You by Cee Lo when I’m pulling out of the office parking lot. Heeee.

Time to spread the love…

Who do you drop everything for, including the urn with your great grandmother inside, and run to the computer when you get an update?
Gah, I hate this question, and the next one. I haven’t been reading a lot lately, except for the fics I beta and preread for, and whatever fic I’ve found to rec. But GothicTemptress, or GT, simply has the most lyrical writing and beautiful messages in her fics. There once was this fic called A Place To Call Home by this chick Alexis Danaan that I would, but the she hasn’t updated in a while. Anything by her, really, although it usually pains me to read anything by Jasperites. *smirks* JaspersIzzy’s Love My Hate owns me, and not cuz I preread for it. Any crackfic that comes from the fucked mind of HammerHips or givemesomevamp I’d drop a newborn baby for. Of course, I used to for Icy and MoTU and Nolebucgrl’sTaste of Innocence. I sooooo miss Smugward.

Do you have an author that you fangirl over? And do you squee? I do. Many times.
I’ll squee for ANYTHING that captures me, and anyone. If I can’t get enough of the fic, I’m tweeting about it or rec’cing it. Although it irks me to no end when authors get all uppity about shit when their fic gets big, so I don’t squee as often as I used to.

If you were to break someone into the Twilight Fandom, what fic would you give them to read first?
Wow, that’s a good question. I’ve given shoutouts to MoTU to a few people who I know like that sort of thing. I’ve also told a few guys I know about a few of the horror fics that came out last Halloween, especially the ones written by HammerHips and JRRamsey. HammerHips scares the shit outta me sometimes when she gets all bloody and gory.


Can you suggest a fic to be recommended on the blog?
Now, this will not be easy since I know you’re all Jasperites over there, not to mention I have to save a few that I’m actually reading for my own recs. *laughs* but JaspersIzzy is writing two really good ones right now: Release Me and Love My Hate.

And now for a bit of fun…

Give a shout out to your team!
TeamEdward – like that’s some sorta mystery. *snorts* Or am I supposed to say Chicago White Sox here? Bwhahaha!

Stephanie Meyer’s Bella… Strong, independent woman and a role model for all girls, or a sniveling, whiny, spineless twit? And do you that KStew makes a good Bella? Anybody you think could’ve done it better?

Uuuuugh! This just drives me mad. Yeah, Bella’s weak and sniveling, especially in Twilight, but for pete’s sake, what 17-year-old isn’t at that age? Some just hide it better than others. I think SM did an ok job with her, although I hate her in Twilight because I, like most, just want to pound some fucking sense in her. BUT, I would’ve swooned over Edward like a headcase too. *grins* Truth be told, I did, which is why I understand the infamous August, September, October blah, blah blah, and why she did that. At the time, I thought it was genius, because it’s EXACTLY what, um, happened. To someone I know. A friend.Honestly, I could identify with some of it, I’m not going to say what, but whoever says they weren’t insecure and spineless at that age is either lying or too old to remember. I can say that, cuz I’m BEYOND that shit svfm.


Ever imagine yourself in the place of a character in the fics you read? (It’s the lemons, isn’t it? Naughty naughty!)

Like you have to ask…

Let’s say that your friends and family don’t know that you write fanfiction. You’re at the office, or the family get together, and someone mentions that they’ve be reading this fanfiction online. As you listen to them recount the details of this story, you realize with growing horror that this is your story! How do you react?

Well, first, I’d probably turn a bright shade of purple. Then a very wide and mischievous grin would be plastered to my face. Then, I’d wait for them to see it and plead the fifth if they recognized my penname, which some of them could. *laughs*


Thank you for participating!

Thanks for havin’ me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment