Saturday, April 16, 2011

Saturday Sit-Down with AlexisDanaan

Let’s start off with the basics…

What’s your penname?
I go by Alexis.Danaan on Fanfiction.net and “AlexisDanaan” on Twilighted because apparently Twilighted has something against periods. Oh, and I’m on TwiWrite.net but I’ve only one story posted there.


Where do you post most often?
Fanfiction.net, without a doubt. It’s more user friendly and you don’t have to be a member to read fiction on there like some other sites.

What’s your favorite pairing? Favorite genre?
Oooohh… well it depends on the fandom we’re talking about. When it comes to Twilight I’m a big Jasper/Bella fan, and a close runner up would be Jasper/ Edward. I’m not a big canon fan when it comes to Twilight. When it comes to my first love, Harry Potter fandom, it’s a hard tie between Harry/Draco and Draco/Hermione. I can’t get enough of either pairing.

Genre? I don’t like anything too dark or angsty, no major character death. I can’t stand that kind of pain in a story, I go to fanfiction to escape my own reality, not get bogged down in more of the depressing shit I see around me every day. I need Happily Ever Afters or I get really, really pissy.

Is there a pairing or genre that you absolutely cannot stand?
When it comes to Twilight? I can’t stand Jake and Nessie. I’m sorry, gross. Just no. I think that that whole thing in Canon is just… no. I hate Jake, period, so I don’t like to see him in ANY story unless he’s being left by the wayside.

As for HP, I’ve never been able to stand anything with Snape and one of the trio, I know that Snape/Hermione or Snape/Harry is pretty popular in some circles but I have a thing with age, and adults shouldn’t be sleeping with kids, even if it’s fiction. That goes for the Next Gen stuff that a lot of people write, I’ve nothing against those who like it, just not my cuppa.

What got you into the Twilight Fandom? It’s all the hot guys, wasn’t it? Don’t lie.
Honest to god, it wasn’t the hot men, but that IS what makes me go see shitty movie after shitty movie LOL. There are three things that got me into the Twilight fandom: One—I wanted to know what happened to Edward and Bella and their happily ever after, I felt that it ended too abruptly for me. Two—OH MY GOD MEYER,  HAVE YOU NEVER HAD SEX BEFORE? Christ! I wanted to see Edward screw Bella into a damn mattress, or a wall, or the fucking forest floor but NOOOO Meyer can’t give me that, can she!? So, I went and found it myself, HA! And third—Twilight, as written by Meyer, is so poorly constructed it makes my English major’s heart weep. I knew of fanfiction before Twilight and I knew I’d find some amazing stuff, which I have.

What do you find to be the most challenging part about writing your fics?
Balancing my real life responsibilities with the urge, no, the need, to write. I write a LOT, a lot more than I post, but my real life doesn’t often leave me with enough time to actually sit down and just churn it out the way I would like. At this very moment I have…*counts in head* four stories on the go, one of which I NEED to finish ‘cause it’s half posted on my profile.

Damn, being an adult blows.

Best review you’ve ever received? Worst?
The best reviews are the ones where my readers just talk to me, they tell me about how they related to something in the story, or in my A/N and tell me about their lives and I love it. I love that, even though this is the internet and very few of us truly know each other, that they feel comfortable enough to tell me about their lives. It never fails to make me smile. It’s how I made most of my friends on the fandom, including the lovely man who runs this blog.

I’ve had some flamers but you know what? Haters gonna hate. Blow me, bitches. 

How do you get into the zone? What’s your method for getting the creative juices flowing? Dancing around your living room in nothing but a baseball cap, weird shit like that?
You’ve been peeking in my windows, haven’t you? o.O
Ha! Well, I do dance around my living room on a regular basis but I usually have underwear on…usually. ANYWAY! Haha, to get into the zone I usually have to have had a good day, and no distractions. It doesn’t happen often but when I feel that need, I tell my hubs to leave me the fuck alone unless someone is dying and I attack my keyboard. Tea and music are also required; I use the music to block out the sounds of the world around me so that I don’t get distracted. I am easily dis…oooh, new Criminal Minds is out! I love Reid, he’s just so funny and cute in that dorky kind of…

Do your friends and family in your real life know about your fanfiction alter-ego?
Er…’bout that…
Not really? Okay, my best friend in the whole world knows, and has even read some of my stuff, but she’s not really into fanfiction so she’s by no means a regular reader. My hubs knows but has never read any, I won’t let him. No one else knows except for one of my best friends Jen, but I met her THROUGH the fandom so of course she knows. And yes, she’s a “real life” friend now, we visit each other on a fairly regular basis.

What do you look for in a good fanfic?
A reasonable, well thought out and well developed plot with believable characters. I just can’t get into something if I think it’s not realistic in terms of progression and development. Another thing that makes me flounce a fic is when the grammar is really poor or you can tell it was written by a very young person. 12 year olds should not be writing M level fiction, sorry, no.

Tell us a bit about yourself…

Anything you’d like to share with us? Married, single? Kids? Covert CIA agent? Alaskan crab fisherman?
Haha, crab fisherman? Hells no, I’ve seen that show, Deadliest Catch. No fucking way.
I’m not married, but I am engaged to a wonderful man who completes me in every way. I was born and raised in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and the first vehicle I learned how to drive was a 1 ton tow truck. Neato, eh? I can actually tow a car on both your standard 1 ton or a flatbed truck, I learned when I was a kid because that’s what my father did for a living.
The first thing I crashed into was a light pole in the middle of a deserted parking lot, I was 13. All I can say is thank god the wheel lift is made of solid metal. *ahem*

Spill! What’s you guilty pleasure? I promise not to judge you, as long as it isn’t Justin Beiber.
Ooohh baby, baby, OOOHHH!
I’m sorry. I’m kidding, I’M KIDDING! DON’T SHUN ME!
Hmm…guilty pleasure? To be perfectly honest, Twilight is my guilty pleasure lol. I am so ashamed and so enamored at the same time.

Do you have a favorite published author? Someone that actually has printed novels with a publishing house, like Stephanie Meyer.
J.K. Rowling, of course and my first love, Juliet Marillier. She writes historical fantasy fiction, usually set in ancient Ireland. A combination of all my favourite things! AND she’s one of those really nice people who actually talks to her fans (via her FB page) and has full on conversations with them. She’s answered several of my questions about publishing and the like. If you like fantasy novels, I highly suggest you check out her Sevenwaters Series.

Favorite musical artist? Anything we should definitely check out?
Oh god, don’t get me started. Right now I am listening to “Beautiful Trash” by Lanu, ft. Megan Washington and I love it. You should check it out. Other than that, I listen to a lot of alternative rock bands or “garage bands” as some call them. Razorlight, Something Corporate, Keane, Damien Rice, Stars, Arcade Fire, Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox 20. I am also a little bit obsessed with Adele right now.

Time to spread the love…

Who do you drop everything for, including the urn with your great grandmother inside, and run to the computer when you get an update?
Hahaha, urn with my great grandmother? I don’t have an urn with my great grandmother in it! If I did, I would toss her dusty ass out the bloody window for Cheryl Dyson, forthelongestday, PastichePen and Sara’s Girl.

Man, I should watch what I say. One day it will be me in the urn…hmm…

Do you have an author that you fangirl over? And do you squee? I do. Many times.
I got the chance to interview Cheryl Dyson the other day and I totally squeed! I haven’t actually “met” (and by met, I mean talked to) most of the authors that I really like mainly because I’m not the kind of person who gushes a lot, I’m waaaay more cool than that lol. No, not really cool at all, but still, I don’t publicly gush often so most of them have no idea I exist lol

If you were to break someone into the Twilight Fandom, what fic would you give them to read first?
It depends on what they’re looking for, I’d be sure to ask them about what they liked and didn’t like about the canon before I recommended them. Some people squick out at slash, even though I love it, and other’s can’t stand the idea of Edward with anyone other than Bella. If they’re canon lovers, I’d give them something like Edward Wallbanger. If they like slash I’d rec some A Tangible Dichotomy or At The Deep End, if they liked non-canon het I’d point them towards A Murmur of Fire in the Vein.

Can you suggest a fic to be recommended on the blog?

Hells. Yes. Oh god, where to start. Long Way Down by forthelongestday, Yesternight by PastichePen, Just Like Chocolate by FarDareisMai2, A Tangible Dichotomy by PerfectlyPersuasive, Of Swans and Silence by Edward’s Chipper, Holding Out For You by ObsessingOverEdward. There are so many more but that should keep you busy for a while ;)

And now for a bit of fun…

Give a shout out to your team!
TEAM WHITLOCK, BITCHES! *looks at her bestest fandom friend, Chipper, and sticks her tongue out*

Stephanie Meyer’s Bella… Strong, independent woman and a role model for all girls, or a sniveling, whiny, spineless twit? And do you that KStew makes a good Bella? Anybody you think could’ve done it better?
I think that KStew makes an excellent CANON Bella, because she’s so fucking awkward. Honestly, I can’t stand KStew’s acting, she doesn’t ACT she just stands there and looks socially inept.

As for Meyer’s Bella, as I’m sure you’ve deduced, I think she’s a twit. She’s got no SPINE! Edward walked away from you, he left you in the damn woods after some little shit filled spiel about what’s better for you and then you just accept him back? Jesus, controlling relationship much?

The biggest problem that I have with Meyer’s story, and this is mainly an issue for parents of young girls, is that this story appeals to the tweens as much as it does the adults, but while the adults know the difference between fiction and reality, good relationships and bad, and the extenuating circumstances of Edward’s personality due to his immortality, little girls do not. They do not know that it’s not okay for someone to sneak into your room and watch you sleep (creepy much, Meyer?), to tell you that you can’t see your friends, etc, etc. That is an issue that I think too many parents do not take up with their young daughters who read and watch Twilight.

Ever imagine yourself in the place of a character in the fics you read? (It’s the lemons, isn’t it? Naughty naughty!)
Um, how do you think I write my lemons? Oh, Jasper, take me you naughty, naughty boy. Up against a tree? Why am I still wearing clothes, handsome?

*drifts off into a daydream*

Let’s say that your friends and family don’t know that you write fanfiction. You’re at the office, or the family get together, and someone mentions that they’ve be reading this fanfiction online. As you listen to them recount the details of this story, you realize with growing horror that this is your story! How do you react?
I try to hide my furiously blushing face and put on an air of nonchalance if they notice, I do not say a word about it being mine, NOT A WORD. Then I whip out my blackberry so I can share the hilarity/horror of my situation with fandom friends.

Thank you for participating!

No comments:

Post a Comment