Saturday, April 30, 2011

Saturday Sit-Down with Famingo!

Welcome to another Saturday Sit Down, Magic Monday Style!
This week we're talking to HP fandom new comer, Famingo!

Let’s start with the basics...

What’s your penname?

Famingo on fanfiction.net and FlamingoLady on LJ
Where do you post most often? Can you link us? (In reality, we just want to stalk your work)

http://flamingolady.livejournal.com/ or http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1708741/Famingo

What’s your favourite genre and pairing to read?


My favourite pairing is by far Harry/Draco. I don’t really have a favourite genre. I read just about anything that is well written and doesn’t involve one of the boys dying, although there are a few exceptions to that rule. I do have a soft spot for the boys as parents with small children and a well-written mpreg.
Is there a pairing or genre that you absolutely cannot stand?
Anything that involves Ginny. I really don’t like her at all.

What got you into the Harry Potter fandom? It was the epilogue, wasn’t it? Damn that epilogue.

I’ve been reading in the Harry Potter fandom for a long time, way before the epilogue was even printed. I started reading the novels and got immediately hooked on them. I had been reading fanfiction for years and finally thought to look for HP just after Goblet of Fire while I was waiting impatiently for Order of the Phoenix to come out. I was immediately pulled in with all of the amazing people writing. I just checked my saved folder and saw that I’ve been reading HP fic since 2004. That’s hard to believe, but we have great writers in this fandom to keep people interested.

What do you find to be the most challenging part about writing your fics?

I’ve only written one story so far, but I’m writing a couple of more for Veelafest. So far, I’m finding the hardest thing about this is to maintain the voice of the characters. I know how they are in canon and how I want them to be in my story, but meshing the two is a little easier said than done when I get caught up in writing.

Best review you’ve ever gotten? Worst? Have a story there?

I’ve only gotten a few reviews, but for the most part they have all been very nice. I think my favourite review was from the person I wrote my HP story for. She seemed so surprised and happy that I’d written something for her and it made me smile.  Worst was not all that bad but was for my Twilight fic and I was told that they couldn’t see one of my characters “like that” and I was told that I should have mentioned that there was a mention of het or I would get real flames. It made me laugh since it clearly said it was slash with an “of-age” Seth and Edward.

How do you get into the zone? Do you have a particular method that gets the mojo flowing? Ritual sacrifice of a virgin at the full moon, that sort of thing?

Nope, not virgin sacrifice. That would be WAY too difficult to find where I live. I usually write when I’m alone in the house and don’t normally like to have music or anything going because I get distracted way too easily. I will write for as long as I am still getting ideas and then go read if I need inspiration or just a little break. Seems to work pretty well so far.

Do your friends and family in your real life know about your fanfiction alter-ego?

My friends know that I write and a few have even read my stuff, but my family doesn’t know. They would never read fanfiction in the first place, but I think I would be okay with them reading it. I’ve enjoyed writing so why not have someone read it. That may change in the future if I manage to write anything smuttier than the little wank-fic I wrote for Twilight.

What do you look for in a good fanfic?

I love fanfic that has strong characters or an original idea for the story. I think that’s why I like HP so much because magic makes things possible that you never would have imagined and they end up being lots more interesting than the same old thing you get in so many fandoms. A different take on a character or even a different twist of the original story is always interesting to me.
On the other hand, what makes you stick your nose in the air and flounce that bitch?
My main pet peeve with fic is when someone doesn’t pay any attention to spelling, grammar or the proper name they are using for a character. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a really interesting story get left in the dust because of constantly referring to Blaise as “Zambini” or Astoria as “Astonia and Toni.” I know we’re all human and an error or two are to be expected, even with a beta, but know who you’re writing about.


Tell us a bit about yourself...

Anything that you feel comfortable sharing? Married? Kids? Nudist resort? Seal hunter?

Hmmm… I’m single but have been living with my sweetie for 10 years now. No kids, just two very moody cats. Too fat to be a nudist and I like seals so not a seal hunter. I work in customer service for a telecommunications company but have been out of work due to a lack of a voice for several months now so that’s how I’ve been able to write my most recent stories. I’m a total fanfic junkie and have at least thirty open tabs at all times. I can’t read het much anymore and I would be amazingly happy if I were ever close enough to meet (touch, hug, lick, grope) Tom Felton or Dan Radcliffe even though I’m old enough to be their mother.

Oooh, tell us a guilty pleasure! As long as it’s not Hannah Montana, I promise not to judge you. Perhaps.


My guilty pleasure is still fic-related. I have to admit to enjoying a well written Snape/Harry or Snape/Hermione fic. Something about the swirly robes and the sexy/evil voice.

Do you have a favourite published author? And by published I mean someone who has a contract with a major publishing house, like J.K. Rowling herself.

Good question! I don’t read much lately other than fanfic, but I love Laurell K. Hamilton, Charlaine Harris, Kim Harrison and J.R. Ward. Wow, seeing a trend here with vampires and magic?

Favourite musical artist? Anything we should check out?


This is a tough one because I love music and listen to lots of different things. Current favourites are probably 100 Monkeys, Linkin Park and Kings of Leon.


Time to spread some love...

Who do you drop everything for, including Mrs. Next Door’s smelly brat, and run to the computer when you get an update?

Definitely Leo_Draconis! Every time I get a notice she’s updated I squee and go running. Cheryl Dyson too.

Do you have an author that you fangirl over? And do you squee? Cause I totally squee.

I totally fangirl and squee over both the lovely ladies I mentioned in the last question. Both of them are great writers and very cool people so it’s fun to squee over them. Leo actually beta-ed for me and I was SO nervous for her to read anything I had written but she was fantastic and I absolutely adore her. Oh yeah, Fiberkitty in the Twilight fandom too. Another great writer and fantastic lady.

If you were going to break someone into the Harry Potter fandom, what fic would you give them first?

The stories I always recommend to friends just wanting to start reading Harry/Draco (IMHO the best pairing) are Small Blessings and He Was He and I Was Bunny.

Can you suggest a fic to be recommended on the blog?

Anything by Leo_Draconis, To the Moon by Constant Vigilance, Malfoy Child and Malfoy Flavour by Vorabiza.


Okay, now we get stupid. It’s the best part...

If we took away their wands, stuck Harry, Snape, Bellatrix, Hermione, Mrs. Weasley and Fudge in the same room and told them that they had to fight to the death if they wanted to be able to leave who do you think would be left standing?

Oh come on, hands down Molly Weasley! In canon she killed Bellatrix for trying to hurt her children and I read a fic recently where she not only smacked Harry and Draco over the head with a wooden spoon just after they had turned into a dark creature and then later dressed down Voldemort for presuming that since she was a housewife and mother she wouldn’t be intelligent. It was SO easy to see that exchange that I couldn’t help but laughing like an idiot and made my poor, suffering boyfriend listen to the whole thing.

Ever replaced the word “wand” with “wang” as you read canon? Or hell, as you read fanfiction?

Haven’t we all? Although, a wand can be just as handy as a wang if you’re creative.

Let’s say that your friends and family don’t know that you write fanfiction. You’re at the office, or the family get together, wherever really, and someone mentions that they’ve been reading this fanfiction online. As you listen to them recount the details of this story, you realize with growing horror that this is your story! How do you react?


It would depend on who it was. I have some people at work who have read my Twilight fic and enjoyed it. If my mom or someone like that would mention reading it, I would probably crawl under a table.


Be sure to check out Magic Monday when we take a look at Famingo's HP inspired birthday fic!

No comments:

Post a Comment